Without revealing much of the plot (you can either read it in the link above, or watch and find out), Chiang aptly built up the characters and plot development throughout the 2 hrs 40 mins performance to a dramatic "all-secrets-revealed-end" (complete with typical music accompaniment of "thng thng thng" and gasps), providing not only anticipation for the truth but also the much-needed answers and humour relief. Who says all endings need to be happy to provide closure? Yet not all happy endings may tickle your heart and senses the way this one does.
Music-wise, it was just as good (or perhaps better) than some of your foreign imports which, despite a new cast, demonstrated substance and resonance. I particularly love Frankie's love ballad "My-I-I-I-I-Veeeee", where backdrop dancers secretly burst into the scene and provided the vocal chorus (and comic relief) to his solo effort, injecting synchronised dance steps and broadway-like notions of your average-Joe pining for his missing girl. The girl in question is none other than Ivy Chan Poh Chu, played by newcomer Elena Wang, who sounded oh-so-good I too wished she would be my-I-I-I-I-Veeeee. Crisp, clear and strong, it was no wonder Elena took the lead role without fear or stress. Of course, co-lead Denise Tan, who plays the bitchy princess of Beauty World Lulu, was equally good in matching Elena's choral delivery, from the angsty to the girl-next-door tune.
Since it was the gala night, there were many stars in attendance whom I caught a glimpse of, including: Hossan Leong, Jonathan Lim, Lim Kay Siu, Lim Yu Beng, Tan Kheng Hua, Najip Ali, as well as Minister George Yeo and Professor Tommy Koh. But most of all, the one celebrity whom my friend and I were thrilled to see, was Ms Singapore Universe runner-up and Mediacorp celebrity Jade Seah, who took my breath away, which Beauty World couldn't quite yet.

No comments:
Post a Comment