Saturday, August 25, 2007

SASCO Gala Night / Ms Singapore World 2007

Let me begin by saying how I had not expected the Ms Singapore World 2007 pageant to take place during the charity dinner which I attended.

At the beginning of the year, my dad was approached by SASCO to make a donation either in cash or wheelchairs, which was to be rewarded with an invite to a charity dinner. Seeing no need to spend more than a certain amount, he generously bought just one ticket. However, 8 months later, he found out he couldn't attend, and so asked my mum to go in his place. She wasn't too keen, feeling uncomfortable at attending the dinner alone and possibly having old folks surrounding her (which the organisation helps anyway). I would have volunteered if not for the fact that I was on manning this week, and could potentially be mobilised to don back my green uniform. Thus I declined to replace my mum.

But by late afternoon, with no news of possible mobilisation, I agreed (somewhat involuntarily) to go in place of my mum with that solo invite to Meritus Mandarin along Orchard. It was only after reaching the ballroom on the 6th floor of the hotel that the word "wow" simmered into my vocabulary. Sure I know, going to some glam charity dinner alone isn't exactly appetizing to your average person, but it takes courage considering it's not the first time I've done it.

With more than 80 tables decked out in Mandarin-style, the 6-course dinner took place concurrently with the Finals of the Ms Singapore World 2007 pageant, including the swimwear, casual and evening gown segments, not forgetting the all-important Q&A for the top 8. My invite card had indicated Table 60, and fortunately, I found myself sitting with 5 other people whom I introduced myself to.
Why "fortunate"? Cos the father of 2 beside me, an amiable Mr Quee, remarked that we'd be able to eat more now that our table was not full! Though later on he and his wife carried on comparing how other tables (some with just 3 people) could really enjoy a feast. I enjoyed talking to him, and found out he belonged to the first batch of men called up for the inaugural National Service back in 1967 when it was introduced. A retiree now with 2 grown-up kids, he and his wife have now taken to watching TV and holidaying in Genting (every year) and around Asia. Our conversation topics ranged vastly, considering he once used to be civil servant with the police before retiring at 55, thus sharing wisdom and experience to this fresh grad seeking employment in a supposedly-good job market.

Anyway, below you'll catch a glimpse of the swimwear segment which took stage between the 2nd and 3rd dish. From afar, everyone looked fit, sexy and deserving.



At this point I should commend Meritus Mandarin on their appetizing food, which included their signature Chatterbox Chicken Rice served as the final dish before the Avocado Pudding dessert. Service was also increduosly prompt, with waitresses filling up the beer, soft drink, and chinese tea cup every time they spot your glass not full. *Applause*

By 11.30pm, it was time for the results.
This was the 2nd runner-up, whom I (and probably a lot more people) think has noisy supporters. Every time and every segment she goes on on stage, her supporters blow their whistles and sound the horn (the type used to flag off sprinters on track) continuously, thinking that noise levels equates to triumph. It wasn't any surprise Mr Quee commented that her awarded title of "Ms Popularity" was a cover up for having noisy supporters. I guess the judges were prompted to award her the 2nd runner up for fear of angering her supporters. *shrugs*


The 1st runner-up went to Contestant 18, and the winner, Contestant 20. See if you can spot them in this link, which was taken at the Semi-Finals, otherwise make do with the grainy pictures I took below.
The picture above (left) shows the 2007 and 2006 pageant winners, the latter of whom made it to the top 5 of 100-over contestants competing at the international Ms World pageant in Moscow last year. A mighty feat (for Singapore and Asia) which I still remember, considering Singapore never seemed to make the cut in any beauty pageant at the international level.
By midnight, everyone (including myself) was just hanging around for the top 10 winners for the lucky draw to be called out, which included a $800 travel voucher as the top prize, and other attractive prizes like a 21" colour TV, return flight to Perth on Qantas, 2D1N Holiday Inn stay in Bintan, etc. Had it not been for the lure of the lucky draw, I bet most attendees would have left much earlier.
P/S: Carol, if you're keen to know what Q&A questions they were asked, ask me...Personally, these contestants seem to have more confidence and intellect than those in the MSU2007...I think.

No comments: