As most would have guessed, Jessica Tan was to be this year’s Ms Singapore Universe pageant queen. Thanks to Carol, who got her fave friends exclusive tickets, I had the privilege of witnessing the finals live in the Mediacorp TV Theatre.
First off, let me congratulate Carol for making it to Top 10 (as I had accurately predicted). In the 4 years of I’ve come to know you, I’d agree with Joo, Jen and the rest how you’ve grown/matured to who/what you are today. You know how I’m supposedly politically correct and nice most of the time, but brutally honest and critical should you seek my subjective opinion. Thanks for putting up with my frank comments with sheer grace and outrageous guffaw - an irony if you ask me. Hah! I would have thought you might at least win the “Miss Body Beautiful” award, but well, like you said, some things are already pre-determined (which I better not mention in public cyberspace).
Having said that, I admire you for balancing this and your final semester (however little time you spent studying), and hope we’ll see each other at the Commencement ceremonies!
Anyhow, there wasn’t an overwhelming crowd who showed up at the grand finals as I had expected. With more than enough seats in the main stalls for another 100 people, we shifted from the upper level downwards to get a better view. Oh and yes, Jade Seah is pretty, and so is Andrea de Cruz. TV just doesn’t do justice.
The most exciting segment of the pageant must have been the Q&A with the Top 10 (contrary to popular belief that it was the swimwear segment or ousted Idol contestant Jon Leong’s performance). I would think audience viewers at home watched the same thing on TV, except the feeling in the audience had a lot more “oomph”. Like when Christabel replied about “getting foreign talent” to win Singapore’s “first Olympic gold”, everyone squirmed in their seats and you could literally hear everyone take in a huge breath of air through their closed teeth (yes, that whole hissing sound), and mask themselves from being identified as fellow intelligent Singaporeans. Well, at least that was how I’d interpret that sonic manifestation of huge breath.
Well, at least Peggy Chang’s answer to the Q&A for the Top 5 about the man she loves and a hypothetical in-the-path-to-true-love mother was an outstanding one.
At the post-pageant reception (which I doubt we were invited to yet crashed somehow), it was almost like the NUS Arts Canteen – the place to see and to be seen. Not that there were many celebrities/hosts like Adrian Pang, Andrea de Cruz and Jade Seah (who all look good if I haven’t yet mentioned), but most were dressed to impress. After all, this was no ordinary event. I didn’t think Carol would have won anyway (sorry girl!), else I’d have dolled myself up with a tux. It didn’t hurt if the reception food was bad; after all, everyone was busy mingling with the who’s who in the industry, if not taking photos with the MSU girls in their stunning gowns.
And I was no exception.
But not the mingling part of course.
One of the most hilarious incidents happened when the girls were taking pictures with Carol when two aunties walked by. One of them stopped the other, before asking us if that was Jessica Tan. Surprised at such a question, we didn’t have a chance to reply them before the other auntie told the first, “no lah, she’s not, she’s Carol, the last year’s winner lah!” before hurrying off to find the MSU2007 winner.
*Everyone stunned*
For crying out loud, it doesn’t hurt that you don’t recognize who the MSU2006 winner (Carol Cheong) is, could you not recognize the newly crowned MSU2007 winner Jessica Tan?
Other than my friend Carol, I only managed to win myself a shot with 1st runner-up Christabel Campbel, before she rushed to change out of her gown. I think I also gave up a huge opportunity for a photo opportunity with MSU2007 winner Jessica Tan when we left the reception area.
*slaps himself*
Oh well.
First off, let me congratulate Carol for making it to Top 10 (as I had accurately predicted). In the 4 years of I’ve come to know you, I’d agree with Joo, Jen and the rest how you’ve grown/matured to who/what you are today. You know how I’m supposedly politically correct and nice most of the time, but brutally honest and critical should you seek my subjective opinion. Thanks for putting up with my frank comments with sheer grace and outrageous guffaw - an irony if you ask me. Hah! I would have thought you might at least win the “Miss Body Beautiful” award, but well, like you said, some things are already pre-determined (which I better not mention in public cyberspace).
Having said that, I admire you for balancing this and your final semester (however little time you spent studying), and hope we’ll see each other at the Commencement ceremonies!
Anyhow, there wasn’t an overwhelming crowd who showed up at the grand finals as I had expected. With more than enough seats in the main stalls for another 100 people, we shifted from the upper level downwards to get a better view. Oh and yes, Jade Seah is pretty, and so is Andrea de Cruz. TV just doesn’t do justice.
The most exciting segment of the pageant must have been the Q&A with the Top 10 (contrary to popular belief that it was the swimwear segment or ousted Idol contestant Jon Leong’s performance). I would think audience viewers at home watched the same thing on TV, except the feeling in the audience had a lot more “oomph”. Like when Christabel replied about “getting foreign talent” to win Singapore’s “first Olympic gold”, everyone squirmed in their seats and you could literally hear everyone take in a huge breath of air through their closed teeth (yes, that whole hissing sound), and mask themselves from being identified as fellow intelligent Singaporeans. Well, at least that was how I’d interpret that sonic manifestation of huge breath.
Well, at least Peggy Chang’s answer to the Q&A for the Top 5 about the man she loves and a hypothetical in-the-path-to-true-love mother was an outstanding one.
At the post-pageant reception (which I doubt we were invited to yet crashed somehow), it was almost like the NUS Arts Canteen – the place to see and to be seen. Not that there were many celebrities/hosts like Adrian Pang, Andrea de Cruz and Jade Seah (who all look good if I haven’t yet mentioned), but most were dressed to impress. After all, this was no ordinary event. I didn’t think Carol would have won anyway (sorry girl!), else I’d have dolled myself up with a tux. It didn’t hurt if the reception food was bad; after all, everyone was busy mingling with the who’s who in the industry, if not taking photos with the MSU girls in their stunning gowns.
And I was no exception.
But not the mingling part of course.
One of the most hilarious incidents happened when the girls were taking pictures with Carol when two aunties walked by. One of them stopped the other, before asking us if that was Jessica Tan. Surprised at such a question, we didn’t have a chance to reply them before the other auntie told the first, “no lah, she’s not, she’s Carol, the last year’s winner lah!” before hurrying off to find the MSU2007 winner.
*Everyone stunned*
For crying out loud, it doesn’t hurt that you don’t recognize who the MSU2006 winner (Carol Cheong) is, could you not recognize the newly crowned MSU2007 winner Jessica Tan?
Other than my friend Carol, I only managed to win myself a shot with 1st runner-up Christabel Campbel, before she rushed to change out of her gown. I think I also gave up a huge opportunity for a photo opportunity with MSU2007 winner Jessica Tan when we left the reception area.
*slaps himself*
Oh well.
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment