

I was invited to this Interact Session with other selected participants of Singapore 2006 at Suntec Ballroom 3 on Tuesday evening.


More importantly, the VVIP who called for this exclusive meet-and-greet session was none other than our Singapore Prime Minister himself! (Seen in the right talking to Venue Assts, Porters, Bus Hosts.)
I was initially informed that the session was to be held on the 19th Sept, but was later informed only one day prior to the session about the date being brought forward. As a result I had to make a trip down to the tailor to collect my altered jacket, not without the help of Ms Lam from Registrar's Office, who called them to speed up the process in the alteration process.
According to Col Arthur from the organising committee, the purpose of the Interact Session was merely for our PM to come meet the various roles of the S2006 volunteers and understand what our various responsibilities entails. In addition, he would also serve to encourage us in whatever we're about to do.
While everyone stood around and mingled with each other's own clique, awaiting the arrival of the PM, I decided to uproot myself from the IDOs/Helpdesk volunteers after a while, and plant myself in the BMW drivers/TP circle and break the ice. I wouldn't normally have done something extraordinary as that, but my interest in befriending the TP officers and BMW drivers got the better of me. Whilst I didn't reach far enough in my conversation to ask the TP officers about where speed traps are usually set up, I did get some understanding on how the BMW drivers were hired.
Before the PM got around to our small circle where we 2 NUS and 2 NTU students (and our sch. rep. Ms Lam) were standing about, the Minister overseeing S2006, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua, approached us and chatted a bit. When PM Lee finally popped over, I was merely an arm's length away from him in our conversation! Thanks to the other NUS girl, Saleha, who bravely asked the PM if we could take a photo with him at the end of 5 minutes of interaction, we were the only one of two groups who pioneered the initiative and claimed the shot. Of course, thanks to me for bringing my camera too.
Oh and it was pure coincidence I met Jeremy Ee too, the ex-NUSSU President, who now works for MAS. As expected he was walking about taking pictures with his $6000 digital SLR camera.
After the PM turned away to continue interacting other participants, the BMW drivers rushed over and asked if I could help them with that same favour too! They'd better remember me for the next Asian Aerospace or something so I can try my hand at driving one of those BMWs to ferry delegates around too. Heh.
Anyhow, 30 minutes of so passed and the PM had to take his leave. I was still excited with the picture taken (below) and exchanging contacts with 2 of the BMW drivers to notice our PM had even left. But this picture is now priceless.
Next up looking forward to - Ushering for the one-night-only Westlife concert on Friday!


No comments:
Post a Comment